Friday, February 12, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to my blog! My intention is to post about various technology problems and solutions, in the hope they will be of some use to others experiencing similar issues.

I am software engineer working in Sheffield (UK), primarily with the Java and Groovy programming languages. At work I use Windows 7, and at home I have moved to Ubuntu. My focus for this blog in the near future will be my current project at home to build a Home-Theatre PC (HTPC) based on Ubuntu and MythTV. This should be a rich source of inspiration, given that I have already experiened the following problems (and still don't have it fully working):
  • My Phenom II 3 GHz x 4 processors were running at 800 MHz.
  • My Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB disk was cripplingly slow.
  • My TV tuner cards (a mixture of terrestrial and satellite) were randomly re-ordered/re-named after each reboot.
  • My satellite tuner would not find any channels.
  • I couldn't get sound through the HDMI connection to the TV.
  • The TV picture was mis-aligned, loosing some of the picture at the top and bottom of the screen.
I will get there in the end..!

No comments:

Post a Comment