I am software engineer working in Sheffield (UK), primarily with the Java and Groovy programming languages. At work I use Windows 7, and at home I have moved to Ubuntu. My focus for this blog in the near future will be my current project at home to build a Home-Theatre PC (HTPC) based on Ubuntu and MythTV. This should be a rich source of inspiration, given that I have already experiened the following problems (and still don't have it fully working):
- My Phenom II 3 GHz x 4 processors were running at 800 MHz.
- My Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB disk was cripplingly slow.
- My TV tuner cards (a mixture of terrestrial and satellite) were randomly re-ordered/re-named after each reboot.
- My satellite tuner would not find any channels.
- I couldn't get sound through the HDMI connection to the TV.
- The TV picture was mis-aligned, loosing some of the picture at the top and bottom of the screen.